First off, I want to say that Jason in 99% better after the bike crash. When they arrived for our walk yesterday, I didn't even notice the tiny scratches on his face.... talk about a speedy recovery! I was sooo happy about that. He still has a pretty bad scrape on his arm, but it looks much better, too. Thank goodness!
So much has been going on lately, I'm sure I'll forget something. Last Saturday was the 4-H food fun day where the kids go to different stations to make food that becomes part of our noon meal. I was in charge of a station this year and I helped the kids make fruit smoothies and fruit pizza. The kids had a lot of fun and we all enjoyed our "brunch" of ziploc bag omelets, pumpkin muffins, sausage balls, granola and of course the fruit items. It was more than any of us could eat! My station went well until the end. I had mixed up a big batch of smoothies with some of the left over ingredients for the adults to share and had it sitting on the table while I washed dishes. Ashlyn came running in saying the smoothies exploded - well that didn't sound good. Still not sure how it happened, but one of the older boys attempted to pour himself a cup and almost the whole batch leaked out of the blender and onto the table! That was fun to clean up....
Saturday evening we went to the Stonewall VFD fish fry and were happy to be able to enjoy this one after working so hard at Doss. However, we should have brought jackets b/c we were all freezing cold when the sun went down. I guess we're all weenies now after that long hot summer, but 55 was a little too chilly to hang out and drink beer in :) so we didn't stay too long.
Colten started getting sick Sunday - he got a really bad headache in church and started crying, but after John took him out and gave him a drink he seemed better so we sent him to Sunday School. The same thing happened there, poor guy! He had a little bit of fever that afternoon so we kept him home Monday & got him an appt Tues where he tested negative for the flu - they said he probably has strep and is on antibiotics now. Hopefully that's all it is!
Also on Sunday, we tried cooking cow tongue for the first time. We had one from one of the steers we butchered and we all actually liked how it turned out! John can do amazing things with food sometimes :) He started with a recipe for lengua and did his magic with it and we were all surprised - even him!
Both kids got on the A Honor Roll for the first 6 weeks and we are super proud of them! They're off to a rough start for the 2nd one though - Ashlyn was out last week for a couple of days with Bronchitis and missed a few things that brought her grade down - hopefully she can get it back up!
We've had another bad luck streak with cats (although some may call it good luck considering we've become a bit overrun with cats lately). A few weeks ago Colten found one of the younger kittens dead in the yard in the morning with only the dogs to blame. Now yesterday, the kids found another of the kittens laying under a bench unable to move. We're not sure what happened to it, but it seemed to be paralyzed. They tried to nurse it back to health, but this morning it was no longer breathing. Colten was very upset as that was his favorite. I wish the kids wouldn't have had to see what happened to them, but I guess that's life. We still have like 10 more cats left :)
This weekend, we are going to a Cub Scout camp near Menard for the day on Saturday. Should be fun, but I hope we have good weather.
So, I also wanted to share this story about Colten before I forget it :) He can be a little weasel sometimes! We know he's not supposed to take toys to school, but we'd been letting him as long as he promised to only play with them on the bus and left them in his backpack during school - it's a long boring bus ride after all. Lately he'd been bringing his Bakugan (little plastic balls that transform into creatures when you roll them over a magnet - from a cartoon), but I guess he had put them in his pocket to play with during recess and still had them there during PE. One of them fell out and another little boy claimed finders keepers on it. Colten knew it was his and they got in trouble for arguing about it. The toys got taken to the principal's office and could only be picked up by the parents. This happened on a Mon or Tue. Thursday during a walk, Leann mentioned that Jason told her that Colten had his Bakugan taken away - which we hadn't heard anything about. Hmmmm. Later, I asked Colten about them and he didn't have whole lot to say. I even said I might know where they are and he still didn't fess up. I practically had to drag it out of him, but finally he confessed. He said it wasn't his fault and that he accepted his punishment of getting them taken away. I asked why he didn't tell us and of course he thought he'd get in trouble - now he knows it's worse not to tell!
No comments:
Post a Comment