Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Old Yeller Days

Saturday morning, I took the kids to Old Yeller Days in Mason. The guy who wrote "Old Yeller" (Fred Gipson) is from Mason, so they have a celebration to honor Old Yeller every year. The main activity is a dog parade where people can bring their dogs dressed up to compete in certain contests like owner-dog look-alike, best costume, and Old Yeller look-alike. It was fun to see how everyone had their dogs dressed up and I was told that next year we needed to bring a dog (we'll see). They also had games, food, and music and it was all out on the court house square in the shade - very nice!

The kids had to pet every dog they thought was cute. In the first pic they are with a cute little black wiener dog dressed up like a skunk along with a large black poodle. I think the owner was going with black and white theme, but I can't remember. There was also football player, cheerleader, jailbird, tinkerbell, and bat dogs and many more that I can't remember. Very cute!

The second pic is of the kids at one of the nature booths. They made paint like the Indians did with iron rocks and water. I never knew you could do that - you learn something new every day! The last picture is their finished works of art. The people at the booth were really impressed with Ashlyn's cat drawing - I think she draws cats everyday so she'd had plenty of practice! Colten did a good job, too, with his fish and cat paintings. We did all the free games and one that wasn't (Colten is a sneaky boy! - he started making some sand art before asking me so of course I had to pay for it - and then I had to let Ashlyn make one, too!) and then headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment