Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Parties & Stuff

We had a small birthday party for Colten Saturday and had a couple of his friends come over. They mostly played on the Wii since it was so cold that day (of course the day before and the day after were really nice, but that's Texas for you!). Even Omie A played for a little while.

Here are some photos from the party (click on the pic to see the album):

Colten's 8th Birthday


Sunday afternoon we went to the library to see one of our neighbors talk about a book her now deceased husband wrote about his life and his struggle with ALS. I don't know if the kids got anything out of it or not, but John & I really enjoyed it! Here's a link to an article about the book if you're interested.

Monday, Ashlyn had a home basketball game and I made it just in time to see the extra quarter that the extra girls got to scrimmage against each other in. Unfortunately, they lost the game against Irion County ISD and Ashlyn learned that they weren't taking the whole team to the district tournament this weekend and in particular not her and she was pretty upset. She thought she'd been doing much better, and she has, but that's life! I told her to keep up the hard work and maybe next year she'll get more play time. I think she was OK with that. Colten had Boy Scouts that same night, and he got his prizes for selling popcorn which included a "master jack knife" as he calls it. He feels very privileged to have a knife now and he and his daddy have been going over rules of owning a knife, in particular absolutely no taking it to school - he was kinda disappointed about that! We got home about 7:30 that night and got a bite to eat, just before the power went out. We certainly weren't expecting that, so I called the power company and they confirmed that it would be out until about 10 due to some repairs that were being made. So we found some flash lights and lit some candles and finished homework to candle light. Of course it was too dark and too quiet and scary for the kids to sleep upstairs so they got to sleep downstairs. It was sort of an unexpected adventure!

This morning we were lead to believe we would have a blanket of ice keeping us from going anywhere, but unfortunately, we were mislead! School was even postponed 2 hours, but I don't think it really needed to be. There was some ice on the fence and steps at the house, but that was about it. A few places on my way in were icier than others (for example, Hill Top, where there was a collision between two 18-wheelers this morning), but I had no trouble getting in.



No comments:

Post a Comment