Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Opa Reeh

So here we are a day after Opa's funeral. It all seems like a blur now, but it was a very nice funeral. It's hard to say goodbye, but we still have the memories. Here are a few of mine:

Of course, Opa watching Blue Lagoon with Colten Thanksgiving Day :D
Four wheeler rides
Huh!
Lots of interesting German phrases
Obama - er avoiding politics
Not making a fuss when my car got stuck in the sand after he went to bed
Going to bed at 6 & waking up at 2
Naps
Milking cows
As The World Turns, Young & The Restless, & other soaps
Football & hunting shows
Changing the channel - before remotes
Remote/knife flipping on the table
Worn out spots on the table and floor where Opa sits
Hunting
Sausage making

Watering the grass & the grandkids
Red Man chewing tobacco
His old blue truck without A/C
Monkey!


Since I didn't have this blog when Oma Ahrens passed away, I now feel the need to write down some of my memories of her as well. I can't believe it's been 3 years already...

Homemade bread
Playing the piano
Snapping green beans
Fresh spinach
Blackberries with sugar
Breakfast with a small pitcher of milk instead of the carton
Post toasties
Folding napkins
Doublemint gum in a jar on the counter
Stapled together used envelopes for notepads
Saved twisties, bread bags, and cereal boxes
Corn starch
Hair rollers & a handkerchief
Chickens
Rover
Mayonnaise & cheese sandwiches
Sorbet in a box in the deep freeze
Drying dishes
Worrying
Lye soap

So I know I'm forgetting lots of stuff, so I will update this as I remember new things - basically just for me so I don't forget them again.





2 comments:

  1. I loved seeing your wonderful memories about your Oma and Opa. Good idea to keep them somewhere safe so you won't forget them later. The both sound like such wonderful people and are lucky to have you missing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! They were wonderful people, funny little quirks and all... guess that's what you miss and remember most about people when they're gone.

    ReplyDelete